This is an exciting time for life science entrepreneurs in New York. Our goal is to bring to NYC accessible and affordable acceleration programming to, harnessing the rich academic experience in the area to enable technological breakthroughs. The KiiLN virtual incubator provides a hand-picked one-stop shop for New York City-based biotech entrepreneurs to find:
- Start-up resources
- Government funding/incentives/training programs
- Private funding
- Management consultants
- Technology transfer offices in NYC academic institutions
- STEM outreach/ community initiatives
- Other Manhattan biotech incubators
- Scientific entrepreneurship programs
If you would like us to feature your event, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BioLabs New York. A vibrant and collaborative co-working facilities with lab space/instruments and acceleration programming.
- NewYorkBIO (New York Biotechnology Association): Network with other New York area biotechs and/or participate in their Fellows Program for Life Science Entrepreneurs.
- Life Sciences Summit: Annual meeting of early-stage life science companies with experts in business development and investment.
- Health & Bio Technology Summit: Presented by the New York Academic Consortium showcasing NYC emerging technologies.
- Xconomy: Stay current on trends and upcoming events for bioscience entrepreneurs.
- CONNECT: Inspires us to develop a culture of collaborative support for life science entrepreneurs in the Big Apple.
- NYC Bio: Bringing NYC’s life science community together for education and networking
- LifesciNYC: Excellent source of information on resources for NYC life science entrepreneurs.
Government Funding/Incentives/Training Programs:
- SBA (U. S. Small Business Administration)
- SBA Virtual Conference– January 18, 2017. Stay tuned for next date!
- SBIR/STTR NIH grants (Small Business Innovation Research and Small Business Technology Transfer at the National Institutes of Health): potential applicants can apply for training.
- SBIR Impact NYC (Bio and health tech NYC)
- New! Upcoming workshops: September 26 and 27, 2017
- New! Upcoming workshops: September 26 and 27, 2017
- SBIR/STTR Webinar Series
- Niche Assessment Program for NIH SBIR/STTR Phase I Awardees
- NYC Biotech Tax Credit
- NYC Venture Fellows
- NYC Economic Development Corp: matching funds for early-stage NYC life science ventures through the Life Sciences Fund
- Pilot Health Tech NYC: a marketplace for digital health solutions that connects companies with prospective clients through matchmaking, technical assistance, and competitive award funding.
- Empire State Development: invests in NY businesses via the Innovate NY Fund and provides incentives to NY businesses via StartUpNY (see also details from Anchin, Block & Anchin LLP here and here)
- NYCRIN (New York City Regional Innovation Node): look out for NYCRIN’s National Science Foundation (NSF) I-Corps program
- ELabNYC – 20 companies participate in commercialization strategy and development through training and mentoring. New! Upcoming information sessions listed below:
- Monday Sept 25 2017, Noon. Speakers: Chandra Ghose, BioHarmony, Xontogeny Investor Vallen Graham, Rockefeller. Host: Weill/ Rockefeller/MSK. Location: Belfer 302 C/D 413 East 69th St
- Wednesday Sept 27 2017, Noon. Speaker: Dr Herb Sun, awarded SBIR NCIIH. Host: Einstein. Location: Forchheimer Medical Science Building Education Center Rooms 3A and B 1300 Morris Park, The Bronx
- Wednesday Sept 27 2017, 2PM. Speaker: Frank Minella, Founder PainQx, ELabNYC 2015 funded by Mid Atlantic Bio Angels. Host: NYUMC. Location: NYU Langone, Smilow Seminar Room, 1st Floor, 550 First Ave
- Thursday Oct 10 2017, 2:30PM. Speaker: ELab Alums. Host: Columbia Engineering. Location: Davis Auditorium, 530 W 120th St
- FaceTime Westchester Paired mentoring program.
How Start-up Funding Works: Infographic
>> Crowdfunding/Equity Crowdfunding:
>> Angel Investors:
- Mid Atlantic Bio Angels (MABA First Pitch Life Science)
- Golden Seeds
- Life Sciences Angel Network (LSAN)
>> Venture Capital:
- Versant Ventures
- NYC Early-Stage Life Sciences Funding Initiative
- Deerfield Management
- Lux Capital
- Ascent Biomedical Ventures
- Rho Ventures
- New Leaf Venture Partners
- Osage University Partners
Unique funding opportunities:
- M2D2: 5th Annual 100K Challenge 2016.
- 3f Foundation
- Venture Well e-team program: helps college students launch new ventures. A three-stage program provides grant funding, experiential workshops, veteran coaching and a potential investment opportunity to help students’ project reach their full commercial potential.
Technology transfer offices in NYC academic institutions:
- Mount Sinai Innovation Partners
- NYU Office of Industrial Liaison
- Columbia Technology Ventures
- Cornell Center for Technology, Enterprise and Commercialization
- Rockefeller University Technology Office of Technology Transfer
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Office of Technology Development
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine Office of Biotechnology and Business Development
- SUNY Downstate Office of Technology Commercialization
- CUNY Technology Commercialization Office
STEM outreach/community initiatives:
- New York Science Career Events: Weekly newsletter for scientists interested in career and professional development events/opportunities in NYC. Sign up here.
Other Manhattan Biotech Incubators:
Scientific entrepreneurship programs: