This is an exciting time for life science entrepreneurs in New York. Our goal is to bring accessible and affordable acceleration programming to NYC, harnessing the rich academic experience in the area to enable technological breakthroughs. The KiiLN virtual incubator provides a hand-picked one-stop shop for New York City-based biotech entrepreneurs to find:
- Start-up resources
- Government funding/incentives/training programs
- Private funding
- Management consultants
- Technology transfer offices in NYC academic institutions
- STEM outreach/ community initiatives
- Manhattan biotech incubators
- Training/partnering/funding for life scientist-entrepreneurs
Upcoming conferences/events/application deadlines:
MedTech Innovator 2019 applications are open. Get yours in by Feb 1 2019 through our partner link to be in the running for $500K!
If you would like us to feature your event here, do shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- NewYorkBIO (New York Biotechnology Association): Network with other New York area biotechs and/or participate in their Fellows Program for Life Science Entrepreneurs.
- Life Sciences Summit: Annual meeting of early-stage life science companies with experts in business development and investment.
- Health & Bio Technology Summit: Presented by the New York Academic Consortium showcasing NYC emerging technologies.
- Xconomy: Stay current on trends and upcoming events for bioscience entrepreneurs.
- CONNECT: Inspires us to develop a culture of collaborative support for life science entrepreneurs in the Big Apple.
- NYC Bio: Bringing NYC’s life science community together for education and networking
- LifesciNYC: Excellent source of information on resources for NYC life science entrepreneurs.
Government Funding/Incentives/Training Programs:
- SBA (U. S. Small Business Administration)
- SBA Virtual Conference– January 18, 2017. Stay tuned for next date!
- SBIR/STTR NIH grants (Small Business Innovation Research and Small Business Technology Transfer at the National Institutes of Health): potential applicants can apply for training.
- SBIR Impact NYC (Bio and health tech NYC): see schedule for training workshop dates and program deadlines
- SBIR/STTR Webinar Series
- Niche Assessment Program for NIH SBIR/STTR Phase I Awardees
- NYC Biotech Tax Credit
- NYC Venture Fellows
- NYC Economic Development Corp: matching funds for early-stage NYC life science ventures through the Life Sciences Fund
- Pilot Health Tech NYC: a marketplace for digital health solutions that connects companies with prospective clients through matchmaking, technical assistance, and competitive award funding.
- Empire State Development: invests in NY businesses via the Innovate NY Fund and provides incentives to NY businesses via StartUpNY (see also details from Anchin, Block & Anchin LLP here and here)
- Accelerate New York Seed Fund: pre-seed and seed fund for early-stage science and technology startups in downstate New York
- NYCRIN (New York City Regional Innovation Node): look out for NYCRIN’s National Science Foundation (NSF) I-Corps program
- ELabNYC – 20 companies participate in commercialization strategy and development through training and mentoring.
How Start-up Funding Works: Infographic
>> Crowdfunding/Equity Crowdfunding:
>> Angel Investors:
- Golden Seeds
- Life Sciences Angel Network (LSAN)
- Mid Atlantic Bio Angels (MABA First Pitch Life Science)
>> Venture Capital:
- Ascent Biomedical Ventures
- Deerfield Management
- Lux Capital
- New Leaf Venture Partners
- NYC Early-Stage Life Sciences Funding Initiative
- Osage University Partners
- Rho Ventures
- Versant Ventures
See also: National Venture Capital Association.
- Breakout Labs, a fund within the Thiel Foundation
- Med Tech Innovator
- Partnership for New York City (BioaccelerateNYC)
Technology transfer offices in NYC academic institutions:
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine Office of Biotechnology and Business Development
- Columbia Technology Ventures
- Cornell Center for Technology, Enterprise and Commercialization
- CUNY Technology Commercialization Office
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Office of Technology Development
- Mount Sinai Innovation Partners
- NYU Office of Industrial Liaison
- Rockefeller University Technology Office of Technology Transfer
- SUNY Downstate Office of Technology Commercialization
STEM outreach/community initiatives:
- New York Science Career Events: Weekly newsletter for scientists interested in career and professional development events/opportunities in NYC. Sign up here.
Manhattan Biotech Incubators:
Training/partnering/funding for life scientist-entrepreneurs:
- Acceleration BioVenture Innovation program from BioVenture eLab
- Accenture HealthTech Innovation Challenge
- 2018 M2D2 200K Challenge
- VentureLabs from Flagship Pioneering
- Venture Well e-team program: helps college students launch new ventures. A three-stage program provides grant funding, experiential workshops, veteran coaching and a potential investment opportunity to help students’ project reach their full commercial potential.